Sautéed Pears and Red Onions
Mingle the sweetness of brown sugar with sautéeed pears and onions for an interesting side dish. You can use any leftovers on sandwiches with brie cheese!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 red onions, root ends attached and cut into thin wedges
- 6 brown, skinny-looking pears, such as Bosc pears, quartered, then cored
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt it, then add the onions and pears and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Sauté, stirring frequently, until the pears are tender but not mushy, 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar over the pan and stir a minute or two more. Serve immediately.