Schnitzel Cordon Bleu
Fresh from the pan to the table is the best way to serve crisp, well-seasoned veal or pork cutlets topped with ham and cheese. Serve with spinach.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 4 large veal or pork loin cutlets (about 6 ounces each), pounded 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil, for shallow frying
- Grainy Dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 8 thin slices mild ham
- 4 deli slices Emmentaler cheese or 8 deli slices square-cut Gruyère cheese
- Wilted spinach or green salad, for serving
Pre-heat the broiler.
Put the flour and the beaten eggs into two separate medium size shallow bowls. In a third, mix the breadcrumbs, panko, lemon zest, granulated onion, granulated garlic, paprika and a few grates of nutmeg. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper; dredge in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture.
In a medium size pan, heat a quarter-inch of canola oil over medium-high heat. Shallow fry the cutlets two at a time, flipping once, until cooked through. Remove and drain on a metal rack placed on top of a baking sheet.
Dress each cooked cutlet with a little lemon juice and top with a few dots of mustard, two slices of ham to cover and one slice Emmentaler cheese or two slices Gruyère cheese. Broil until browned and bubbling.
Serve with wilted spinach or a green salad.