Seafood Stoup Fra Diavolo
Include this 30 Minute Meal as part of your Feast of Seven Fishes!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound sea scallops, trimmed and patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1/3 palmful)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, white wine or dry vermouth (eyeball it)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup seafood stock or chicken stock
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- 1 pound turbot, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Crusty bread, to pass around the table
In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium-low heat. Add the scallops in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper to the skillet and cook until the anchovies dissolve.
Add the sherry to the skillet and reduce slightly. Add the tomato sauce and stock and bring to a boil. Season the shrimp and fish with salt and pepper, add to the sauce and simmer until opaque, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the scallops, basil and lemon peel. Serve the stoup in shallow bowls with the bread.