Shawarma Chicken Pizza on Naan
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the marinade:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive OIl
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons each Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) turmeric
- 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic and granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 pieces boneless, skinless breast, horizontally cut into 8 thin cutlets (or a mixture of both dark and white meat)
For the tahini sauce:
- 1/2 cup Tahini paste
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- About 1/4 cup bottled water
- Large pita breads or garlic Naan
- Hummus, homemade* or store-bought, preferred brand Tribe; 40 Spice or Original flavor
*For Homemade Hummus:
- 1/2 pound dried chickpeas, covered with 3 inches of water, left to soak overnight and drained
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Toppings: chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped dill, diced and seeded tomato, chopped hot pickled vegetables (Giardiniera or banana pepper rings), thinly sliced red onion
Whisk up marinade ingredients and toss chicken in to coat. Heat a grill or griddle pan or an outdoor grill over medium-high heat and grill chicken to crispy and brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove meat from heat, let rest and slice.
Add Tahini to food processor with crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt, ½ teaspoon cumin, process, streaming in water to thin as necessary.
Char large pita breads on each side or Naan breads.
To serve pizzas, spread a thin layer of hummus on the bread and top hummus with sliced chicken. Drizzle or use a squirt bottle to give them a swirl of Tahini sauce. Garnish pizzas with tomatoes, herbs, pickled hot veg and red onions. Cut and serve.
If making homemade hummus, place soaked chickpeas in a pot and cover with 3 inches of water. Add baking soda, onion and bay, and bring to boil. Salt water with about 2 teaspoons Kosher salt and keep at low boil, skimming every 40 minutes or until water is mostly absorbed and the chickpeas are very tender. Remove onion and bay, and place beans in a food processor. Add Tahini, lemon juice, garlic and cumin. Process 5 full minutes to form a light and smooth hummus, adjust salt to taste; add bottled water to thin if hummus is too thick. – See more at: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/23011_shawarma_chicken_pizza_on_naan/#sthash.fDtNBIGX.dpuf