Shimmy and Roast – Italy
- 3 cups breadcrumbs or croutons, ground in a food processor
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 springs of thyme, leaves pulled off
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves pulled off and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sealable plastic bag (gallon size)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, cleaned and chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Mix the ground croutons, Parmigiano Reggiano, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in the plastic bag and toss to combine. Add the chicken, a couple pieces at a time, seal the bag and give it a good shimmy-shake to coat each piece.
Place the coated chicken on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken until all the pieces are coated. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through.
Into a container with a lid, place the red wine vinegar, garlic, basil and EVOO. Tighten the lid, and then give it a good shimmy to mix it up. In a salad bowl, add the tomatoes, red pepper, red onion and romaine, and pour dressing over the salad.
Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat and serve alongside the chicken.