Skillet Dinner Sausage & Butternut Squash Skillet Supper
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds good-quality fresh Italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- A fat handful sage: 2 tablespoons finely chopped and 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or ground allspice
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut, cheese or red kuri squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small fresh Fresno or red jalapeño chile pepper, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, breaking into large pieces with the back of a spoon. Add in sage, fennel seed and ground cloves or allspice. Cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
Add the squash, onion, garlic, chile and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 18-20 minutes.