Sliced Steaks with Kale Caesar Salad
Kale adds nutrients to a classic Caesar salad with steak.
Note: this recipe contains a raw egg yolk, so be sure to use a pasteurized egg.
- 4 flatiron steaks (6-8 ounces each), at room temperature
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO, plus more for coating
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 organic egg yolk
- A generous handful of grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for shaving
- 1 bunch flat leaf Tuscan kale, stems discarded, leaves chopped or sliced
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped or sliced
Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and coat with some EVOO. Cook the steaks, turning once, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice on an angle.
In a salad bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; season heavily with pepper. Using a fork, mix in the egg yolk, then pour in 1/3 cup EVOO in a slow, steady stream to emulsify the dressing. Stir in a handful of cheese. Add the kale and romaine and toss to coat.
Serve the salad topped with shaved cheese, alongside the steak.