Sliced Steaks with Sauerbraten, Onion Hash Browns and Spiced Red Cabbage
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for the steak, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 onions, 1 quartered and thinly sliced, 1 chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small or 1/2 large head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) piece London broil (bottom round) steak
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
In a medium skillet over medium heat combine two tablespoons EVOO and two tablespoons butter. When butter melts into oil add hash browns and thinly sliced onions, season with salt and pepper. Cook 7-8 minutes, turn with spatula and press to crisp, cook 7-8 minutes more.
Heat a large skillet with two tablespoons EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add cabbage, caraway, paprika, salt and pepper, cook stirring occasionally 2-5 minutes, until tender.
While cabbage and potatoes are working, preheat broiler. Heat a small skillet over medium heat with two tablespoons EVOO. Add chopped onions and a bay leaf, salt and pepper, cook eight minutes until soft and sweet.
Pat meat dry and season with EVOO, salt and pepper. Broil the meat 10-15 minutes, ranging from medium-rare to medium-well doneness, turning once. Rest five minutes then thinly slice against the grain.
While meat cooks, add sugar and vinegar to the onions and stir one minute. Add beef stock and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat under gravy to low and stir in cream.
Stir the apple cider or juice together with mustard and pour over red cabbage. Stir to combine one minute then turn off heat.
Remove bay leaf from gravy. Serve cabbage and hash browns next to sliced steak topped with gravy.