Sliced Tuna Soft Tacos
This dish gives you the fresh flavors of grilled tuna steaks, tortillas and avocados. Try this for your next Cinco de Mayo party!
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder or chipotle chili powder
- 4 tuna steaks (1-1 1/2-inches thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced on an angle
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon
- Hot pepper sauce
Pre-heat the oven to 275°F.
Wrap up the tortillas in a damp kitchen towel; set them into a pie plate or cake pan and place them in the oven.
In a small bowl, combine the grill seasoning, cumin, paprika and chili powder. Rub the mixture on both sides of the tuna steaks.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until the oil ripples. Add the cabbage and cook, turning with tongs occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add a few tablespoons water to help wilt, if needed. Toss in the scallions until combined; season with salt, to taste. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
In a second large skillet, griddle or grill pan, sear the tuna steaks for 2 minutes on each side for rare, or up to 5 minutes on each side for well done. Cut into thin slices.
Using a food processor, mix the avocados, cream and lime juice until smooth. Season the avocado cream with salt and hot sauce, to taste.
Remove the tortillas from the oven. Place the sliced tuna and cabbage on each tortilla and fold over; serve the avocado cream on the side.