Sloppy Buffalo Joes
Serve with Mashed Potato Skins.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken or turkey breast
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/3 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot brand
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 good quality burger rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 large dill pickles, chopped
Heat a large skillet with the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the meat and break it up with wooden spoon, then cook for 5-6 minutes. Add in the carrots, celery, onions and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cook for 7-8 minutes more.
In a bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, tomato sauce and stock. Pour into the pan and stir to combine. Simmer a few minutes more. Pile the sloppy Buffalo filling onto the buns and top with blue cheese and chopped pickles.