Sloppy Dawgs (Version 2)
Be the first to prepare the ultimate hot dog with all the trimmings from Rachael’s latest book, The Book of Burger.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds hot dogs, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup canned baked beans
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (1 cup or 8 ounces)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 6 crusty, split-top hot dog rolls, 6 burger rolls or 12 slider rolls, toasted and lightly buttered
- Chopped onion
- Chopped pickles or relish
- Yellow mustard
Heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, Add the hot dogs and cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper, and cook for 3-5 minutes to soften. Stir in the baked beans.
In a medium size bowl, stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Stir the sauce mixture into the pan; season with salt and pepper and simmer over low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Spoon the filling into the hot dog rolls or over the roll bottoms and top with onion, pickles or relish and mustard. If serving on a burger bun or slider rolls, set the buns in place.