Sloppy Veg-Head Joe
Sloppy Joe goes vegetarian with this healthy version of an old childhood fave.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red, green or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeño chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Two cans black beans (15 ounces each) , rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- One can diced fire-roasted or crushed tomatoes (15 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 crusty rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 2 large dill pickles, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
In a large skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, jalapeños, red onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the black beans, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Add to the black beans and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve the Sloppy Veg-Head Joe on the rolls. Top with the pickles and cilantro.