Slow Cooker Meal: Chicken and Biscuits
Get out the crock pot in the morning for this one-pot comfort meal of chicken, veggies and biscuits; serve in the afternoon or early evening.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 leaves fresh sage, sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 store-bought biscuits
Dredge the chicken pieces in 1/2 cup flour and season with salt and pepper.
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
Place the browned chicken, butternut squash, celery, carrots, onion, sage, thyme, 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper into the slow cooker. Mix to combine, then pour in the chicken stock. Cover and cook, undisturbed, 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
Just before serving, add in the peas, Dijon, most of the dill and most of the parsley into the slow cooker. Mix to combine and warm the peas through.
To serve, place a biscuit in each bowl, spoon the chicken mixture over the biscuits and top with a little more dill and parsley.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.