Slow Cooker Meal: Honey-Lemon Chicken with Potatoes
Get this chicken, potato and veggie slow-cooker meal going in the morning and finish it off with a fragrant mixture of lemon, parsley and pine nuts in the evening.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- Zest of 1 lemon, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Balsamic Drizzle
In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides.
Scatter the potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme and lemon slices in the bowl of a crock pot. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the browned chicken over the veggies and drizzle with honey. Add the stock or water, cover and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Serve each portion topped with a combination of the lemon zest, parsley, toasted nuts and balsamic drizzle.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.