Slow Cooking, Lazy Soup: Roasted Tomato and Roasted Garlic Soup
If you love a good old-fashioned bowl of tomato soup, this is the soup for you! Try serving it with Cheese and Herb Puffs.
- 2 heads garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 12 plum or Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, such as fresh thyme, rosemary and parsley, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can Italian tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- A generous handful of basil, shredded or torn
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Cut the end off the heads of garlic, drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Wrap them in foil and roast until soft, 40-45 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 300°F. Arrange the halved tomatoes on a wire rack set on a baking sheet so that the heat can circulate around the tomatoes. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt, pepper and herbs of choice. Roast for 2 hours.
When the tomatoes are done, sauté the onion 1 tablespon EVOO, a turn of the pan, until soft, 10 minutes. Place the roasted garlic cloves, half of the roasted tomatoes, the onion and the canned tomatoes in a food processor and purée until smooth. Place the tomato base in a pot with the stock and stir to combine and heat through.
Chop the remaining roasted tomatoes, then stir them into the soup to give the soup some texture. Serve in shallow bowls topped with cheese puffs or grilled cheese sandwiches alongside.