Smoky Buffalo-Style Chicken or Turkey Chili Bowls
Peppery chili topped with melted cheeses, tortilla chips,and jalapeño rings is a winning chili you’ll want to serve again and again.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken or turkey breast
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- A couple of handfuls of thin blue-corn tortilla chips, such as Xochitl brand, lightly crushed
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- About a palmful of pickled jalapeño chili pepper rings
Heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook to brown, stirring to crumble. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 10 minutes or so.
Place the chipotles and adobo sauce in a food processor or blender and puree. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons into a small bowl and combine with the tomato sauce to make a chipotle-infused tomato sauce. (Scoop the remaining pureed chipotle into a small, resealable plastic bag, then mark the bag and freeze – the next time you need chipotle, just cut off a piece.)
When the vegetables are tender, stir in the chili-tomato sauce and chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken and combine the flavors.
Meanwhile, switch on the broiler and position a rack in the center of the oven. Arrange four bowls on a baking sheet and fill with the Buffalo chili. Top with an even layer of the tortilla chips, cheeses and jalapeño rings. Broil for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese and crisp the chips. (This chili is even bBetter than a basket of wings, and better for you!)