Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
You can stuff peppers with meat and cheese, but I also like to make this simple vegetarian version stuffed with flavored rice. –RR
For a complete meal, serve with Wild Mushroom Quesadillas with Warm Black Bean Salsa and Fresh Strawberry Marg-alrightas.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 long mild red or green chile peppers (cubanelle Italian peppers may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mild or medium prepared taco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat.
Bring 2 cups vegetable broth and butter to a boil in a small, covered pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Split peppers lengthwise and remove seeds, leaving stems intact. Grill peppers on hot grill pan for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and let cool enough to handle.
To a medium skillet over moderate heat, add one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and onion. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add cooked rice to the pan and stir in peas and taco sauce. Season rice with salt and pepper.
Load up pepper halves with seasoned rice. Top rice-filled peppers with scallions and chopped cilantro or parsley.