Spaghetti and Clam Sauce with Grape Tomatoes
This delicious and easy meal highlights the delicious flavor of the clams and pairs them with burst tomatoes for a mellow and sweet dish.
- 1 pound thick spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large cloves garlic, grated
- 6 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 48 cockles or Manila clams, scrubbed
- 2/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (2 generous handfuls)
- 1 small bunch scallions, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente, about 7 minutes; drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the anchovies melt, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with black pepper and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes burst, 7-8 minutes. Add the clams, cover the pan and cook until the clams open, about 3 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
Stir the parsley and scallions into the skillet. Add the pasta and cook, tossing occasionally, until al dente, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.