Spaghetti with Bacon and Cabbage
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 pound meaty bacon, cut into short matchsticks
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 pound farro or semolina spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for spaghetti.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Add bacon and crisp; remove. Add cabbage and onion, and toss to lightly brown at edges, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, sage and thyme; reduce heat to keep warm. Add bacon back to pan.
Salt boiling water and cook pasta to al dente. Add a cup of starchy cooking water to the cabbage, drain pasta and toss with butter and cabbage. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Top with grated cheese and serve.