Spanish Chorizo & Chicken Chili
- 2 jars piquillo peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast
- 3/4 pound chorizo, cut into medium dice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped or grated
- 2 rounded tablespoons (about 2 palmfuls) smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin (about a palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sherry or 1/2 cup dry Spanish wine such as Rioja
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups vegetable juice, such as V8 brand
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Grated Manchego cheese
- Tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Spanish olives with pimentos, halved
Pre-heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO. Once the oil is hot, add the ground chicken and cook about 7-8 minutes, until it is light golden brown.
Once the chicken is brown add the chorizo and cook about 5 minutes. Add in the onion and garlic, and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Pour in the sherry or wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, then add the hot sauce, vegetable juice and chicken stock. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Grind up the peppers in a food processor. Add the puree to the pot and stir to combine. Let simmer 10-15 minutes to let the flavors combine.
Serve chili in a shallow bowl topped with Manchego cheese, tortilla chips, parsley and Spanish olives