Spanish Fish in a Sack
Serve with Potatoes with Chorizo and Onions and Orange Sherry Mushroom Caps.
- Parchment paper
- 1 pound ready-trimmed green beans, available in produce department, halved on an angle across
- 8 anchovy fillets, optional
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16 strips thinly sliced pimientos or roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted chopped good quality black olives, such as kalamata
- 2 pounds cod fillets, cut into 4 portions (get thick pieces from the center cuts rather than tail-end pieces) or, 4 red snapper fillets, 8 ounces each
- Salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, a generous handful, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for generous drizzling
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Potatoes with Chorizo and Onions, recipe follows
- Crusty bread, to pass at table
Pre heat oven to 400°F.
Rip off 4 sheets of parchment paper, each a little over a foot long.
Place 1/4 of the green beans in the center of each sheet then top with 2 anchovy fillets — optional, 1/4 of the garlic, 1/4 of the pimiento or roasted pepper strips, chopped olives and cod or snapper portions. Season the fish with salt and pepper and top with equal amounts of the scallions and parsley. Drizzle EVOO liberally and equally along with lemon zest and juice evenly over the fish portions. Fold the top and bottom edges together and crease several times then crease up the ends of the packets, making a sack for each fish to cook in. Arrange the sacks on the baking sheet and place in the center of the hot oven.
Bake packets 20 minutes. Serve a packet per dinner plate and cut open at table. Pass salad or Potatoes with Chorizo and Onions or even simply some good, chewy bread to round out the meal.