Spanish Shrimp and Chorizo with Sweet Pea Couscous
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (about a handful)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large to jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- A pinch of saffron (you can substitute saffron powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 2 cups couscous
- 3/4 pound chorizo, sliced
In a shallow bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic, hot sauce, parsley, lemon juice, a tablespoon EVOO and the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the shrimp, toss to coat and let marinate.
While the shrimp are marinating, combine the saffron, turmeric, lemon zest, butter and 1 1/2 cups chicken stock in a medium size saucepot. Cover and place over high heat to bring up to a boil. Once boiling, add the peas, let it come back up to a boil and add the couscous. Give it a quick stir, cover the pot, remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring every now and then, for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook another 4-5 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the skillet, then cook about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
To serve, divide the couscous between four serving plates and top with some shrimp and chorizo.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.