Spanish-Style Grilled Chicken and Dark Greens Salad
This flavorful salad is full of superfoods and is perfectly balanced.
For the vinaigrette:
- 4 piquillo peppers or 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small shallot, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light agave or honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
For the chicken salad:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded very thin
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (half a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- 6 cups mixed dark greens (I like spinach and baby kale)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 can chick peas (14 ounces), drained
- 1/4 pound Manchego cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup toasted dry Marcona almonds or sliced almonds
For the vinaigrette, place all the ingredients in a high-power blender or food processor and turn on. Stream in the oil and combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper; strain and/or transfer to a serving dish and reserve. Note: If you make the vinaigrette in a Ninja or Vitamix blender, it will be smooth enough not to strain. If you use a food processor, you will get a rougher consistency so pass the dressing through a cheesecloth or sieve.
Pre-heat a griddle, grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high.
Coat the chicken with a drizzle of oil and season with paprika, garlic, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for about 7-8 minutes, until cooked thorough. Grill the lemon halves. Douse the chicken with the grilled lemon juice and slice on a the bias into thin strips.
Combine the greens with the onions, chick peas, shaved cheese and almonds and top with the chicken slices and dressing.