Spanish Surf and Turf
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- 4 jarred Piquillo peppers or 2 jarred roasted red peppers
- One can diced tomatoes, drained (14 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plus a splash of dry sherry, divided
- A couple generous handfuls of flat leaf parsley, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika (about 1/3 palmful)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Splash white wine vinegar
- 2 slices white bread, crusts discarded, toasted and cubed
- Four 1 1/2-inch-thick filet mignon steaks
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2/3-3/4 cup heavy cream (eyeball it)
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
In a medium skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for another minute. Stir in the Piquillo peppers, tomatoes, a splash of sherry, half the parsley and the paprika and warm through, about 1 minute. Puree in a food processor with the lemon juice, vinegar and bread, adding a splash of water if necessary. Season the romesco sauce with salt; keep warm. Wipe out the skillet and set aside for the shrimp.
In a nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and cook in the pan for 2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning once, until medium rare, 6 minutes longer. Transfer the steaks to a plate and let rest. Melt the butter in the skillet, add the shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cream and remaining 1/4 cup sherry and boil until reduced, 3 minutes. Season the sherry cream with salt; keep warm.
In the shrimp skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook until bright pink, 3 minutes on each side.
On each plate, pour a puddle each of sherry cream and romesco sauce. Set a steak in the cream and 3 shrimp in the romesco. Top with the remaining parsley.