- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (1/3 handful)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (2 handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons currants (1 handful)
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (from about half of the fruit)
- 1 1/2 cups enriched white rice
- 2 blades fresh chives, chopped
- 1 bag sliced almonds (3 ounces), lightly toasted or 3 ounces smoked almonds
Bring water to a boil in a covered saucepan. Add the butter, cumin, raisins, currants, zest and rice. Stir the rice and return to a rolling boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the rice from the heat and add the chives. Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer to a serving dish. Cover the rice liberally with toasted sliced almonds or smoked almonds.