Spicy Chicken and Cheddar Waffle Sandwiches
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Cheddar-Pecan-Green Onion Waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, room temp
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar, shredded or cut into fine dice
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, whites and greens
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Spicy Fried Chicken Cutlets:
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 pieces chicken breast, 6 ounces each, pounded ½ inch
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Maple Mustard:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown spicy mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 slices smoky bacon, baked on a slotted pan at 375°F until crisp
- Lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomato
Preheat waffle iron to high and a couple of inches of vegetable oil in large cast-iron skillet to 365°F over medium to medium-high heat.
Whisk up dry and wet waffle ingredients in separate bowls then combine. Prepare 8 waffles to very crisp (cook 2 batches on a 4-waffle iron).
For the chicken, set chicken cutlets into buttermilk and hot sauce for a few minutes. Whisk up the flour with a liberal amount of salt and pepper, the granulated garlic and onion, paprika and cayenne. Double-coat the chicken in buttermilk and flour, and fry to deeply golden, about 8 minutes.
Stir up maple syrup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Serve chicken with bacon, lettuce and tomato on waffles drizzled with maple mustard and cut corner-to-corner.