Spicy Hummus Subs
Full flavored hummus topped with crisp veggies on freshly baked rolls makes a scrumptious vegetarian-friendly sub.
Why not hold a sub party? Rach presents a variety of subs and a homemade salad dressing to serve for a casual party with friends and family. Include Greek Subs, Italian Subs with Garlic Vinaigrette and Giardiniera Relish and Homemade Giardiniera on the menu.
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (1/3 palmful)
- A small handful of flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 6-inch sub rolls
- For the fixin’s: shredded romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, sliced banana peppers, chopped giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables) and sliced olives
Process the chickpeas, tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic, chili, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor while streaming in EVOO until the hummus is smooth.
Split the sub rolls and fill with the hummus; top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onions, banana peppers, pickled vegetables and olives.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit