Spicy Parsley Pesto
Broccolini and pasta is complemented with a parsely pesto sauce. Cooking the broccolini and pasta in the same water and pan saves time and work.
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 scant teaspoon crushed red pepper (about 3 pinches)
- 4-6 good-quality flat anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 2-3 cups broccolini tops, cauliflower florets or Romanesco (Roman broccoli) florets
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Place the parsley, capers, lemon zest and juice, crushed red pepper, anchovies, garlic and EVOO in a food processor and pulse into a pesto sauce.
Salt the boiling pasta water, then drop the pasta and cook 6 minutes. Add the broccolini tops and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 4 minutes. Reserve about 1 cup of the starchy cooking water.
Drain the pasta and vegetables and return to the pot. Toss with the reserved cooking water and the pesto to coat, then adjust the seasoning, to taste.