Spicy Pigs in Blankets with Chimichurri Dip
Tender puff pastry encloses chorizo sausages. Chimichurri sauce complements this spicy snack or appetizer.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, such as Pepperidge Farm brand, slightly thawed
- 1/2 pound chorizo, skin removed and cut into 24 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups herbs, such as parsley and cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out the pastry sheet a little and cut into 24 triangles.
Working with one puff pastry triangle at a time (refrigerate the rest of the pastry until ready to use), arrange a piece of sausage across the base of the triangle and roll up snugly, sealing the pastry with a dab of beaten egg. Transfer to the prepared pans. Brush the triangles with more beaten egg and bake until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, blend the parsley, cilantro, garlic, EVOO, vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons warm water until almost smooth. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve the pigs in blankets warm, with the chimichurri dip.