Spicy Sicilian Spaghetti
Favorite Sicilian ingredients flavor this pasta dish.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, preferably a Fresno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup chicken stock or clam juice, divided
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 can whole, peeled Italian-style tomatoes (28 ounces)
Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, puree the onion, chili pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and lemon zest with a splash of stock or clam juice.
In a large saucepan, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, and the anchovies over medium-high heat until the anchovies melt. Add the onion-chili paste and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and remaining stock or clam juice, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Cook the sauce until thickened, about 20 minutes. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce.