Spicy Sweet Rice Salad with Carrots & Oranges
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 golden beets, peeled and chopped
- 5 or 6 very small carrots or 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 oranges
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, very finely chopped
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, stock, beets, carrots, and raisins; season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is just about done, 15 minutes or so. Check on it; if it starts to dry out you can add another little splash of water or stock—but you’ll get some liquid out of the vegetables as the rice is cooking. Transfer the rice mixture to a bowl and let cool.
Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from 2 of the oranges. Cut off the peel and outer membrane from the third orange. Then with a paring knife, release the orange segments from between the membranes and chop the orange.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, EVOO, hot sauce, sugar, granulated onion, celery salt, coriander, paprika, and black pepper to taste. Stir the bell pepper, onion, and chopped orange into the cooled rice mixture. Pour the dressing down over the top of the rice salad, stir well to combine. Cover and chill or serve at room temperature.