Spicy Tomato Soup and Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the soup:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups passata or tomato purée
- A handful basil leaves, torn
For the Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parm cheese
- 8 to 12 slices white bread
- 4 to 6 slices mild provolone
- 4 to 6 slices deli-sliced mozzarella, white American or white mild cheddar \
For the soup, heat a soup pot over medium-low to medium heat with oil, 3 turns of the pan. Add onions, celery, garlic and chili flakes, season with a little salt and cook gently for 15 minutes to soften, stirring frequently. Add stock and raise heat to medium-high. Add tomatoes and break them up with wooden spoon; add passata and simmer 35-40 minutes to break down tomatoes. Purée soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth; adjust salt to taste.
For the sandwiches, stir together the butter, EVOO, garlic, parsley and grated cheese. Lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread then build cheese sandwiches using both cheeses, with the buttered sides of the bread facing out. Grill sandwiches on a hot griddle over medium heat to deep golden.
Tear basil and stir into soup. Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve alongside soup.