This crowd-pleaser veggie and cheese filled bread is always a hit. It’s great for parties!
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- About 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 box frozen spinach, defrosted (10 ounces)
- 1 jar artichoke hearts (14 ounces), chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Garlic flakes, for sprinkling
- Onion flakes, for sprinkling
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF
Beat 1 egg in a large bowl with the ricotta, nutmeg, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix in the garlic, spinach, artichoke hearts and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg with a splash of water to make an egg wash; set aside.
On a floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle about 9 1/2 inches x 13 inches. Spread the filling evenly out onto the entire dough, making sure not to get too close the any of the edges. Top with the provolone cheese.
Roll the stromboli, starting at one of the long sides, tucking in both ends firmly, and turn over about four times until you are left with just the one edge. Brush the edge with egg and gently press to seal. Turn the stromboli over so that the seam is facing down on the sheet tray. Lightly brush the egg wash over the top of the stromboli, covering the entire surface. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, garlic flakes and onion flakes. Cut slits about 1 1/2 inches apart down the top of the stromboli, so that steam can escape while baking.
Bake until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.