Steak and Spinach Salad with Bacon Bits and Blue Cheese
Try Rach’s favorite smoky bacon and smoked blue cheese from Oscar’s Adirondack Smoke House in this recipe.
- 6 slices smoky bacon
- 2 petite filets (about 1 pound each), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 bunch watercress or upland cress, trimmed
- 4 cups regular or farm spinach, trimmed, large leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup smoked or regular blue cheese crumbles
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Heat an outdoor grill or cast iron skillet over medium-high.
Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until crisp, 15-18 minutes, then chop.
Season the steak with the Worcestershire and salt and pepper; drizzle with EVOO. Cook to desired doneness, 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, garlic, mustard and vinegar. While whisking, slowly stream in 3 tablespoons EVOO; season. Toss the greens and onions with the dressing; divide among plates.
Slice the steak against the grain. Top greens with the steak, bacon and cheese.