Steak Sauce Fajitas with Blue Cheese Crumbles and Bacon Bits
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 pounds hanger steak
- Kosher salt
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, canola or safflower oil, divided
- 5 to 6 mild frying or 3 to 4 assorted-color bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium red onions or Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced into rings for spicy or seeded and sliced for milder tacos
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup HP Sauce or other steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco or other hot sauce, to taste
- 12 to 16 corn tortillas
- 12 slices meaty bacon, diced and cooked to crisp
- Smoked blue or Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Radishes, thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks
- Iceberg lettuce, thinly shredded or chopped
- Seeded and diced tomatoes
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In small pan, toast cumin and caraway seeds. Grind them in a spice mill or mortar and pestle; combine with granulated garlic and onion in small bowl.
Bring steak to room temperature. Trim and pound hanger steaks to same thickness. Season meat with salt, pepper and the seasoning rub.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add peppers, onions, chile peppers and garlic, and cook to tender-crisp, 4-5 minutes. Douse pan with lime juice then remove vegetables to serving platter or bowl and cover to keep warm.
Add another turn of the pan of oil to cast iron skillet. Cook steaks about 8 minutes until well-crusted and browned. Remove to rest, add stock to pan and whisk up drippings. Add steak sauce and hot sauce, and stir to combine; turn off heat. Let steaks rest 5-10 minutes.
Char tortillas over an open flame for 15 seconds per side or in hot, dry stainless skillet. Wrap them in a towel or cloth napkin to keep warm.
Thinly slice steak on an angle against the grain, turn the heat under the sauce back on and add the meat to bubbling sauce; turn to coat. Serve steak directly from the hot skillet with peppers and onions, toppings and tortillas alongside for building the tacos.