Steak with Salsa Verde and Potato Bitter Green Hash
Fresh green herbs and spices make a nourishing green sauce to crown sizzling steaks. Yummy Yukon Gold potatoes mixed with greens of your choice complement the presentation.
- 4 flatiron steaks (6-8-ounces each) or 4 strip steaks (8 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 large shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 clove grated or finely chopped and 1 clove crushed
- 2 flat anchovy fillets
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, loosely packed
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed from stems
- A small handful of fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (eyeball it)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped arugula, watercress and/or escarole
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Heat a cast iron skillet or a large grill pan over high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, drizzle with EVOO and bring to room temperature. To a food processor bowl add the shallot, the grated or finely chopped garlic, the anchovies, parsley, rosemary, sage, red pepper flakes, lots of black pepper, a little salt and the Worcestershire sauce plus about 1/4 cup EVOO. Pulse to chop the ingredients into a thick green sauce, then transfer to a bowl.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the EVOO in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with the crushed garlic. Remove the garlic and add the potatoes in an even layer, season with salt and pepper and cook to brown, 3- 4 minutes on the first side. Turn and cook for 3-4 minutes more, then add the greens to the pan and season with a little nutmeg. Turn off the heat.
While the potatoes cook, throw the steaks into the hot skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes total for pink centers and up to 12 minutes for medium-well doneness, turning once. Serve the steaks with the salsa verde on top and the potato-greens hash on the side.