Stuffed Cabbage Stoup
Serve with Grilled Cheese and Watercress.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 cup raw white rice
- 1 quart plus 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (a combination of beef, pork and veal)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, (eyeball it in your palm)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, (half a palmful)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, (eyeball it in your palm)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler into strips then finely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
Heat a sauce pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the rice and toss to coat in oil. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, bring up to a simmer, cover and cook for 16-18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add the remaining EVOO, once hot add meat and begin to brown, 2-3 minutes. Season the meat with allspice, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots. Cook veggies 2-3 minutes to begin to soften them, then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and remaining stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, add to the soup and continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in parsley and dill, adjust salt and pepper to your taste, and serve.