Stuffed Hot Dogs: Hot and Sweet Pepper Dogs
Party-up hot dogs with hot and sweet peppers. If you like this recipe, try Rach’s Stuffed Hot Dogs: Michigan Dogs With Cheese Sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 small-medium bell peppers in 2 colors, such as green and red, very thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 large good quality hot dogs, split down the middle
- 8 bakery hoagie, sub or hot dog rolls, split
Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat. Heat a deep skillet with a few inches of boiling water. Reduce the heat, keeping the water at a low boil.
Heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and hot pepper and stir for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and onion and season with salt, pepper and marjoram or oregano. Cook until very tender, 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken stock and reduce the heat to low to keep the peppers and onion saucy and warm.
Add the hot dogs to the boiling water and cook for 4-5 minutes to heat through. Remove, split lengthwise and place on the hot griddle to crisp the insides of the dogs as well as the casings. Nestle the dogs in the rolls and top with the peppers and onions.