Stuffed Peppers with Beef, Rice, Spinach and Cheese
This recipe was designed to be made using the extra rice and beef from Rach’s Spanish-Style Beef and Rice.
These delicious stuffed peppers can also be made ahead and frozen. Just microwave for 12-15 minutes on high on a microwave-safe dish loosely covered with plastic wrap to prevent splattering. If you do not have a carousel microwave, rotate peppers once during reheating.
- 4 long, mild to medium chile peppers, such as moderate heat poblano or mild Italian cubanelle
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, cracked
- 10 ounces triple-washed spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth or chicken broth
- 3 cups leftover Spanish-Style Beef and Rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack, smoked cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
Pre-heat a griddle or grill pan.
Seed chile peppers. Drizzle peppers with a little EVOO and grill over medium-high to high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, until tender. Transfer peppers to a broiler pan or baking sheet, hollow side up.
Place a small skillet on the stove top and add EVOO, one turn of the pan, and a crushed clove of garlic. Heat over medium flame and add spinach in bunches until it is all wilted and is giving off liquid. Season greens with salt and pepper. Remove spinach and drain. Set aside.
Pre-heat broiler to high.
Defrost beef and rice in microwave oven. Combine broth and defrosted rice in the skillet you cooked the spinach in and reheat over medium flame. Add tomato sauce and heat through.
Pile spinach, hot beef and tomato rice into peppers, mounding them up in the center of each pepper. Top liberally with grated cheese and melt cheese under broiler 3-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy.