Stuffed Portobellos with Bread Salad
- 8 portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO),
- plus more for brushing
- One 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts,
- drained well
- One 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach,
- thawed and wrung dry
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (a generous handful)
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups crusty bread, torn or coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Pre-heat the oven to 425°. Using a pastry brush, coat the mushroom caps with EVOO. Place on a baking sheet and bake, top side up, until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the artichokes, spinach, ricotta, egg yolk, garlic and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
Divide the stuffing evenly among the mushroom caps. Sprinkle with the Parmigiano Reggiano and cook until the filling is set and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Place the tomatoes in a salad bowl. Add the bread, onion, basil, the remaining 1/4 cup EVOO and lots of salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve 2 mushroom caps per person with a pile of bread salad alongside.