Stuffed Young Zucchini
For a mighty meatless meal, serve with Meat-Free BLT Spaghetti with Butter Lettuce, Leek and Tomato.
- 4 small zucchini, 5-6-inches long, 1 1/2-inches thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 12 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes or Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 slices white toasting bread
- Softened butter
- A small handful of flat leaf parsley
- A few sprigs fresh tarragon or a small handful of basil leaves
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Halve four of the small zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and soft center flesh with a spoon to produce a set of shallow shells to hold the stuffing. Reserve the center flesh. Arrange the small hulls in a baking dish. Drizzle with a little EVOO and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chop the reserved zucchini flesh and set aside.
Heat the remaining EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add in the reserved zucchini and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and heat through for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
While the veggies cook, toast the bread in a toaster, then spread liberally with butter and tear into pieces. Add the bread to a food processor, along with the parsley and tarragon or basil, and pulse into herb crumbs.
Fold the herb crumbs into the veggies along with 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano and the egg. Mound the zucchini stuffing into the shells and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes to brown.