Super Mussels with Chorizo
Serve with Raise the Steaks: Strip Steaks with Two Sauces.
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1/3 pound chorizo, about 1/2 a package, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped, 1 cracked away from skin
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 loaf crusty ficelle or bagette, halved lengthwise
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (1 1/2 tablespoons), stripped and chopped
- Black pepper
Pre-heat broiler to high.
Heat a deep skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, about one turn of the pan, then add chorizo and brown a bit, about two minutes. Add onions and chopped garlic and cook two minutes more. Arrange mussels in a single layer then add wine, cook off 30 seconds and cover pot and cook until mussels open. While the mussels work, toast the split bread until evenly golden. Remove toasted bread, drizzle with oil and rub with remaining crushed garlic. Season the bread with thyme and black pepper. Cut bread on an angle into several cuts.