Super-Sized Pasta e Fagioli
The classic Italian pasta and bean soup gets super-sized! Make a big batch because leftovers get even better with time.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 4 thick slices pancetta (1/2-inch thick each), diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 ribs celery, cut into chunks
- 6 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 cans butter beans (15 ounces each), drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14-15 ounces)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 box rigatoni
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or Romano cheese, for the table
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and pancetta and brown pancetta bits lightly. Add herbs, bay leaf, vegetables and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Add beans, tomatoes and stock to the pot and raise heat to high.
Bring soup to a rapid bubble and add the pasta. Reduce the heat to medium and cook soup for 6-8 minutes, or until pasta is cooked to al dente, stirring occasionally.
Remove the stems and bay leaf from the soup and let it rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Place the pot on a trivet on the table so the hot pot does not burn your table, then ladle soup into bowls and top with lots of cheese and another little drizzle of EVOO. Pass crusty bread at the table for mopping up every last bit of soup from the bowl.