Sweet Potato Salad with Bacon
Here’s a wonderful sweet potato salad to serve thoughout the year, hot or cold. Try it with Sliced Steak Sloppy Johnnies.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 4 slices good-quality lean bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika or sweet paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- A handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
Put the potatoes in a pot over medium heat and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, then salt the water and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pot.
Heat a small pan over medium-high heat and drizzle in some EVOO. Add the bacon and cook until just about crisp.
Add the stock to the pot with the potatoes, along with the vinegar and hot sauce and stir over low heat until combined. Turn off the heat and season with paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and stir in the bacon, chopped onion, celery and parsley. Dress the salad with a liberal drizzle of EVOO and serve immediately.