Tagliatelle with Zucchini and Mint Pesto
Bright green fresh herbs, two cheeses and pine nuts are sparked by lemon juice and zest in a delightful pesto to toss with seasoned zucchini and pasta.
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 young, tender zucchini, julienned
- 3-4 spring onions, whites and greens finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the zucchini and lightly brown, 6-8 minutes. Add the onions and half of the garlic; season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat; keep warm until the pasta is done.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the mint, parsley, remaining garlic, nuts, cheeses, lemon zest and juice, and about 4 tablespoons EVOO to form a pesto; season, to taste. Transfer the pesto to a large bowl.
Salt the boiling pasta water and cook the tagliatelle until al dente. Stir 1 cup of the starchy cooking water into the pesto. Drain the pasta and add to the bowl; toss to combine, then gently toss with the zucchini and serve.