- 1 1/2 cups American cheese block, grated, about 6 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cheddar cheese, grated, about 6 ounces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 – 4 ounces milk, add additional as needed to adjust consistency
- ½ – 1, 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained, depending on desired spice level
- 1/3 cup diced can tomatoes, such as Ro-tel, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
Combine American cheese and yellow cheddar cheese together in a medium size heavy-bottom saucepot and toss lightly with the cornstarch. Add milk. Place the saucepot over medium-low heat and slowly melt the cheese about 8-10 minutes stirring frequently. When the cheese has melted, add the chilies, diced tomatoes, garlic, and onion powder to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine and let flavors come together for about 5 more minutes.
Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or serve in a slow cooker on low setting. Add a tablespoon of milk at a time to adjust consistency, if needed.