- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup horseradish mustard
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices pumpernickel or marble rye bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
In a medium bowl, mix the turkey, shallot, parsley, paprika and poultry seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Score the meat mixture into four sections and form four thin patties. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat and cook the patties for 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate, wipe the pan clean and set aside.
Combine the horseradish mustard and relish in a small bowl. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
Make the sandwiches with the buttered sides facing out: spread some mustard mixture on half the bread slices and top with a slice of cheese, a few forkfuls of sauerkraut, a patty and another slice of cheese; set the top slices of bread into place.
Heat the skillet to medium-low and grill the sandwiches, turning once, until crisp and golden and the cheese melts, about 5 minutes total.