The Ultimate Breakfast for Dinner:Sausage and Spinach Egg Strata
This delicious scrumptious strata is so great you might just want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can prepare this dish ahead of time for a make-ahead meal.
- 1 box organic chopped frozen spinach (10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound bulk spicy breakfast sausage (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 pound stale white or French bread, cubed (7-8 cups)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded caciocavallo cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Defrost the spinach in the microwave, and then wring out any excess liquid.
Heat the EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown and crumble the spicy breakfast sausage, then remove the crumbles to a plate. Return the skillet to the heat. Reduce the heat a little and melt the butter. To the skillet, add the onion and garlic and cook to soften, 5-6 minutes. Add the spinach and season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Turn off the heat and combine with the sausage bits.
Arrange half of the bread in a casserole dish.
Whisk the eggs with the milk, Dijon and some salt and pepper.
Scatter half of the sausage-spinach mixture over the bread, top with half the cheese, pour over half the eggs; repeat. Cover and store in the fridge.
Bring the strata to room temperature for about 30 minutes before you bake. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the center of the oven.
Set the casserole on a baking sheet and bake uncovered for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.