Three-Peppercorn Steaks with Herb Potatoes
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 5 large Yukon Gold or white potatoes, quartered
- 1 scant tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 scant tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 scant tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 tenderloin steaks, each about 1 1/4 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy
- 1 1/2 cups veal or beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups arugula, watercress or upland cress
Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil.
Place all the peppercorns on a work surface. Using a small, heavy skillet, whack the peppercorns, then roll the skillet over the peppercorns to coarsely crush. Sprinkle the steaks with the kosher salt and coat with the crushed peppercorns.
When the water comes to a boil, salt the water, then cook the potatoes until they are just fork-tender, 6-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the oil, one turn of the pan. Add the steaks and cook until browned, turning once, about 6 minutes; transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Reduce the heat to medium; melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the cognac and swirl to blend. Add the stock and bring to a bubble. Add the cream and simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
Drain the potatoes; return to the hot pot. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the herbs. Season with salt; toss to coat.
Arrange the steaks on plates; top with the sauce and the arugula. Serve each steak with 5 potato wedges.
This recipe was featured in the September 2015 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.