- 8 slices bacon, center cut
- 2-2 ½ pounds of tilapia – get 4 large filets and cut across into 8 equal pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/3 palmful
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 2/3 palmful
- 2 teaspoons dry dill or 2 tablespoons fresh, eyeball it
- 5 tablespoons EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), divided
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise then thinly sliced into half moons
- The juice of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange the bacon on slotted broiler pan and place on highest rack of the oven. Cook until crisp, 20-25 minutes.
Salt and pepper the fish on both sides.
Combine the flour, cornmeal, chili powder and dill in a shallow dish. Gently press and coat the fish.
Heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add the fish and cook until deeply golden on both sides, 8-10 minutes.
While fish cooks, toss the lettuce and tomatoes with lemon juice, 2 tables EVOO and salt and pepper.
Cut the bacon strips in half so you have 16 halves.
Layer the meal like this: tilapia, criss-cross half strips of bacon, a pile of lettuce, tilapia, criss-cross of bacon, salad.